The Total Mobility Scheme (TMS) provides subsidised taxi travel for Hawke’s Bay residents, who are unable to use public transport due to a significant, permanent impairment. It pays 50% of the cost of a taxi fare (up to a maximum amount) for those on the Scheme.
The scheme is administered by Hawke’s Bay Regional Council, and funded by both the Council and New Zealand Transport Agency.
How can I join the Total Mobility Scheme?
If you have a significant, permanent impairment which prevents you from using your own car or travelling on a bus, you will need to be assessed to make sure that you are genuinely in need of subsidised taxi travel, and that you meet the criteria of the Scheme.
How do I get assessed?
There is a brochure available which gives information about the scheme which is available as a pdf in related documents below. You will need to contact one of the organisations to be assessed and the assessor will ask you some questions about your mobility and may take a photo for an ID card.
What will it cost me?
The scheme is free, however the agency who assess you may charge a small fee if you are not a member of their organisation.
What happens after I’ve been assessed?
If your application meets the criteria for the Total Mobility Scheme, Hawke’s Bay Regional Council will issue you with:
- A book of taxi vouchers, which entitle you to 50% discount on taxi travel (some conditions apply).
- Guidelines on the conditions of use of the taxi vouchers, this includes many of the common questions people ask about the scheme.
- A photo ID card, which you will need to keep safe and show to the taxi driver each time you travel.
For more information please contact email@example.com, or +64 6 833 8087.
- Age Concern Napier +64 6 842 1346
- Age Concern Hastings +64 6 870 9060
- Age Concern Flaxmere +64 6 879 7003
- Age Concern Havelock North +64 6 877 6488
- Age Concern Central Hawke’s Bay +64 6 858 9158
- Alzheimers Napier +64 6 834 0417
- CCS Disability Action +64 6 834 0499
- Epilepsy Association +64 6 835 5537
- Hawke’s Bay Multiple Sclerosis Society Inc +64 6 843 3000
- IHC Idea Services Hawke’s Bay +64 6 878 8059
- Parkinsonism Society Hawke’s Bay +64 6 844 9135
- Blind Foundation +64 6 835 3777
- Stroke Foundation Hastings +64 6 878 5202
- Stroke Foundation Napier +64 6 845 2294