skip to main content skip to main menu

~ Ngā kaupapa mahi

project arrows

Farm Plans (FEMP)

What is a Farm Environmental Management Plan (FEMP)?

A Farm Environmental Management Plan (FEMP) summarises environmental risks that have been identified on a property and explains how those risks will be managed in line with the legal requirements set out in Plan Change 6.

Do I need one?

Yes, if you own 4ha or more of productive land in the Tukituki catchment. However, if you have a low intensity farm, you only need a farm plan if your property is over 10 ha.

What is a low intensity farm?

It means a farm property or farming enterprise that contains no more than 8 stock units per hectare (this is defined on our Stock Exclusion page), and includes permanent horticultural and viticultural crops (such as orchards, vineyards) and lifestyle properties; but does not include:

a) Properties used for the production of rotational vegetable crops;
b) Dairy farms;
c) Grazed forage crops.

When do I need to do a farm plan by?

31 May 2018

Who can do one for me?

FEMP APPCMYK300ppi2A FEMP must be completed and signed off by a suitably qualified rural professional. This is to ensure that the FEMP submitted is both compliant and that the right advice has been given to ensure water quality aims are met. It is up to each landowner who they get to assist them with their FEMP, but to make sure affected landowners are getting the service that they deserve, HBRC has developed an initial approval process for FEMP providers. This  involves HBRC staff and external expertise reviewing FEMPs and liaising with FEMP providers on the quality of their product. The following providers have so far met the standards and procedures required and are Approved FEMP Providers.

Approved FEMP Providers:
 Company Contact                  
Contact Details
Opus Colin Stace
021 526 030
The Catalyst Group Peter Taylor
022 152 9434
Soter Rural Compliance Emma Buchanan
027 438 7055

Ballance Farm Sustainability Services Christina Finlayson
0800 222 090

Irricon Lilian Sherman
021 378 308

Ravensdown Chris Tidey
021 874 236


Other suitably qualified providers are also working towards being Approved, but can still complete FEMPs under HBRC supervision:







Contact Details



Ravensdown Colin Tyler
021 529 146
Ravensdown Sarah Sexton
Ravensdown Nouman Kyamanywa
Groundstock Ltd Daniel Elms
027 427 9845
Goodman Rural Steve Goodman
027 512 1066
LandVision Ltd Lachie Grant
06 348 8199
LandVision Ltd Doug Benn
LandVision Ltd Suzie Le Cren
06 348 8199
Abron Paul Smith
027 442 1333
Abron Briar Kay
021 734 216
Lorentz Agrology Peter Lorentz
021 900 354
Landpro Kathryn Hooper
027 759 2044
LoganStone Jay Sorensen
027 498 9932
LoganStone Hayley Mortleman
Opus  Anne-Maree Jolly
027 562 9942
AgFirst Erica van Reenen
06 929 4557
AgFirst Jessica Hughes
027 533 2939
AgFirst Lochie MacGillivray
027 448 6501
AgFirst Alesha Cooper
Rural Directions Advisory Services             Ian Millner
027 496 6380
Rural Directions Advisory Services                   Grant Bickley
027 200 1601
Crowe Horwath Sean Bennett
06 858 5565
Crowe Horwath  Shelley Nairn
06 858 5545



Industry Groups are also playing an important part in assisting their levy payers in meeting their requirements, so please contact one of the representatives below if you would like to learn more about what they are doing to help you. All have FEMP templates approved by HBRC and experience around the country in the delivery of similar programmes.

Beef and Lamb Mark Harris
027 577 9991
Dairy NZ Adam Duker
027 226 5334
FAR Diana Mathers
027 544 2236

You need a nutrient budget as part of your farm plan. The same person might be able to do both for you. If not, have a look at our Nutrient Budgeting page.

Related Documents

146 page views for the last 30 days

Share with a friend  

Disclaimers and Copyright
While every endeavour has been taken by the Hawke's Bay Regional Council to ensure that the information on this website is accurate and up to date, Hawke's Bay Regional Council shall not be liable for any loss suffered through the use, directly or indirectly, of information on this website. Information contained has been assembled in good faith. Some of the information available in this site is from the New Zealand Public domain and supplied by relevant government agencies. Hawke's Bay Regional Council cannot accept any liability for its accuracy or content. Portions of the Hawke's Bay Regional Council information and material on this site, including data, pages, documents, online graphics and images are protected by copyright, unless specifically notified to the contrary. Externally sourced information or material is copyright to the respective provider.

© Hawke's Bay Regional Council - / +64 6 835 9200 / Fax: +64 6 835 3601