Port of Napier
Napier Port is the leading international port in central New Zealand. Its East Coast location close to New Zealand’s main international shipping lane together with excellent road, rail and coastal transport links enables the most efficient pathway to market for an increasing range of exports in an expanded central New Zealand catchment.
Hawke’s Bay Regional Council beneficially owns 100% of the shares in Napier Port through HBRIC Ltd. Council’s strategic objective is for HBRIC Ltd to continue to beneficially hold the shares of Napier Port as a key means of assisting economic development of the region.
The Council appoints the Directors of Napier Port on the recommendation of HBRIC Ltd.
Port of Napier Limited:
- Provides a commercial harbour, comprising deep water wharves, land and buildings which are essential to the proper and safe operation of an international port.
- Ensures the provision of such pilotage, towage and mooring services to vessels utilising Port of Napier, as may be required from time to time.
- Ensures an efficient and competitive cargo handling service is provided, which meets the special requirements of all cargoes and commodities, by type and configuration (e.g. breakbulk, unitised and containerised).
- Aggressively promotes and markets Port of Napier to shipping lines, importers and exporters and the wider Hawke's Bay Region.
- Provides and/or contracts such technical, administrative or specialised services as may be required to achieve these objectives.
- Maintains an Environmental Management Plan to provide a systematic review of responsible environmental management practices and procedures and a framework for ongoing monitoring and practical improvements.